Learn More About Endovenous Laser Treatment
How can I get rid of varicose veins? Many people schedule consultations at Arizona Vein and Laser Institute asking this question. Fortunately, our team is capable of providing an array of treatments that address varicose ulcers and veins. With several locations throughout the Phoenix Metro Area, we’re dedicated to helping as many patients as possible live without discomfort. We welcome you to sit down with our doctor and discuss your options for varicose vein removal. Our team may suggest endovenous laser treatment to minimize the appearance of varicose veins. Learn more about this effective treatment option or schedule an appointment to start the conversation with our team.
What Are Varicose Veins?
Perhaps you’ve noticed varicose veins forming in your legs. But what exactly are these darkening veins? Varicose veins occur when healthy veins become twisted and enlarged. They are typically caused by malfunctioning valves in the vein, which result in the blood flowing backward. Varicose veins are only a cosmetic issue for many people. However, in some instances, patients experience pain and discomfort as a result of this condition. If varicose veins are affecting your quality of life, don’t hesitate to schedule a consultation at Arizona Vein and Laser Institute.
What Is Endovenous Laser Treatment?
Endovenous laser treatment, better known as EVLT, is a minimally-invasive procedure designed to treat varicose veins. This treatment provided at our vein clinic uses laser energy to close off a particular vein, stopping blood from flowing through it. Once the blood flow ceases in the affected vein, the varicose veins will begin to dissipate. EVLT allows blood to flow freely through healthy veins without getting caught up in the damaged ones. This procedure involves a small laser being inserted into the vein, but local anesthesia will be used to minimize discomfort.
Am I a Candidate for EVLT?
Most people who need varicose vein treatment will benefit from EVLT. This procedure is especially attractive for those who aren’t interested in an invasive varicose vein surgery. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this treatment is not for everyone. Seek other forms of varicose vein removal if you are pregnant or experience more severe problems with your deep venous system. The team at Arizona Vein and Laser Institute will help find a treatment suited to you.
Benefits of EVLT
Endovenous laser treatment is an exciting option for removing varicose veins. This non-invasive procedure comes with numerous benefits, including a high chance of reducing or eliminating pain associated with varicose veins. Many of our patients have enjoyed the following advantages of EVLT:
- No hospitalization
- Speedy recovery and immediate return to everyday activities
- No need for stitches and no scarring left behind
- Decreased risk of deep vein thrombosis
- Easy at-home care
Preparing for the EVLT Procedure
Because EVLT is not a major surgery, you won’t need to do much to prepare for your procedure. Don’t shave your legs within three days of your appointment at our vein clinic. Shaved skin can promote skin infection as you recover from EVLT. Make sure to let our vein doctors know about any medications you’re currently taking. Medicines such as blood thinners may affect the treatment, so you will likely need to cease those medications before EVLT. However, you can eat or drink anything you want in the days leading up to the treatment. We recommend that you have a light meal and drink extra water just before your appointment.
Ensure a Proper Recovery After the Procedure
While recovery is simple, there are several strategies you’ll want to try to ensure everything goes as planned. Your doctor will recommend the best recovery methods for you, but below you’ll find some of the most common home care strategies:
- Bandages and Compression Stockings: Wrapping your legs with compression stockings allows for better blood circulation throughout the leg. Be sure to wear the stockings as directed. They may increase irritation and discomfort if patients fail to wear them correctly.
- Avoid Bathing: Don’t take baths for at least 10 days following the EVLT procedure. Allowing the insertion site to get wet can increase the risk of infection and decrease the chances of a successful procedure. Wait at least 24 hours before showering, and keep the area dry while in the shower.
- Walking: Staying active is essential to a successful recovery. You should be able to walk and complete your daily activities right after the procedure. Try not to sit for too long in the two weeks following EVLT. Get up and walk around as much as possible, for at least 10 minutes at a time, in the days following treatment.
- Follow-Up Visits: Be sure to schedule a follow-up appointment with Arizona Vein and Laser Institute. This visit should occur about four weeks after the procedure. Our team wants to make sure the healing process is going smoothly.
Get in Touch with Us Today
The team at Arizona Vein and Laser Institute is always happy to answer your questions concerning EVLT. We’re here for you whether you’re just considering the procedure or you’re already in recovery. Reach out to us right away if you experience high fever, swelling, breathing problems, or severe pain during the recovery process. These may be signs of infection and should be addressed right away. Whatever you need, don’t hesitate to contact us for help or to schedule a free vein screening.